





Quinn's Birth Story: It's long so read or skip, whichever you fancy.
False Start. As most of you know we were scheduled for an elective induction on April 20th which was my due date. I was very excited about this because I love even numbers and I was very worried that Quinn may come on an uneven day and well, I am a planner and I love to plan things. Also, it is my Aunt Patty's birthday- what a special way to celebrate her! But Gabe also mentions that it was Hitler's birthday- certainly a check on the con's list. Well, when you are scheduled for an induction, the hospital has you check in at 10 pm the evening prior to get the party started. So at about 7 on the 19th I was just finishing up with my beauty regimen... which at 9 months plus just meant having clean hair and make-up on! Then we get a call from the administrative nurse... looks like Presby Dallas is a popular place to be tonight because Labor and Delivery was FULL! Yes, I said Full! You try telling a pregnant woman who has her mind set on meeting her baby tomorrow that no, it actually isn't going to happen that way.. and see how well it goes over. I was hysterical... I mean hysterical. Gabe didn't know what to do with me. And he's used to this because it is very common for me to cry and be irrational. Everyone was calling to wish us well and for us to call them in the morning.. on an on. I just couldn't bare the pain of passing the news on and frankly I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Surely they would call any minute now and tell me it was just a prank or that I was being punked (isn't that what they call it on that TV show?). Well, after hours of crying I pulled it together and sent Gabe to the store for more Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie. See, I had finished the last of it off that afternoon because I didn't want to to go to waster while we were in the hospital!
More Waiting. Seriously, I just needed my mom to tell me... Shelley, pull it together... God has a plan! So, throughout the weekend Mom and I did a lot of walking (we walked the Galleria level by level so many times) and I jumped on the bed some hoping that I could urge this little one on that it was time... now is the time... Friday afternoon we visited with Dr. Nokleberg who insisted that it would be any day now. She scraped my membranes which I was very excited about because I had heard or read somewhere that this was a way to move things along. If Quinn wasn't ready to come on his own over the weekend, Gabe and I were to check in Monday evening at 10 pm and the process would begin. We were assured that we would not get bumped because I would now be considered a Medical induction (after 40 weeks) versus an Elective induction (prior to 40 weeks). I was pleasantly surprised that I calmed down enough for us to enjoy our last weekend together as a childless couple. I was thankful for the time we had together to allow God to prepare our hearts and minds for the journey we were about to begin. And to get some Zzz's!
Get the party started. Fast Forward to Monday, the 23rd at 10 pm... Mom and Mike came over to see us off. I had clean hair, make-up on and the car packed... and we had made it past 7... the hour of the nurses bad news call. Gabe and I made it to the hospital by 10:05 ( I am always late... even for the birth if my child!), we successfully checked in and I was in my beautiful hospital gown by 10:45. By the time I was hooked up to the fetal monitors (one to monitor my contractions and one to monitor Quinn's heart rate) I was already having contractions less than 2 minutes apart so the nurse said I could not have the cervidil which would soften my cervix and prepare me for the pitocin and labor the next morning. The contractions were not strong enough for me to really even feel so once she had my IV in she gave me some fluids and was able to slow them down enough to give me the cervidil. And with the help of a little ambien I was able to get about an hour of sleep. I was up and down, back and forth from the bathroom to the bed. Starting around 4 am the pain started to increase so the nurse gave me some pain medicine through the IV. The reason I am not giving the name of the nurse is because I was so drugged that I barely remember her.... I was mumbling and could barely open my eyes. I remember trying to get the words out to Gabe that I wanted some water but I couldn't even form the word water... but worse of all, the pain was still there. Once I was coherent enough to talk.. I kept saying that the pain was still there and not getting any better... well she forgot to mention that the pain medicine didn't actually kill the pain it just made me loopy enough to not mind the pain... Ha! Not the case here!
Labor Begins. Well, my nurse considered this the beginning of labor and that is the last I saw of her. I spent a good while in the restroom. I will spare you the details but I just knew something had to happen... soon! I got a new nurse, Tanya, who was definitely sent by God to calm me down and support me throughout this surreal experience. At this point I was pacing the room as the contractions got stronger and stronger. Tanya informed us that this was happening and it was going to happen fast, no need for a pitocin drip, the baby was going to be here soon! And before I could blink she was out the door after the anesthesiologist for my epidural. Gabe called everyone with updates and then Mom walked in the door. Now, I have to mention this, although with no intention of hurting my dear husbands feelings. But at a time like this all a girl needs is her mother. My sweet loving husband just kept asking me if I was alright... and frankly, no I was not alright. If he asked me one more time we both may not have come out alive. So, mom walked the room with me while Gabe met with family as they showed up. And in comes Tanya with my new best friend, the anesthesiologist. Prior to this moment I was terrified of needles, let alone a very large one in my back. They had to do it during a contraction so I was frightened that I would flinch and all would go very wrong. But there I sat criss cross apple sauce and held on to Tanya for dear life while saying a prayer. It was over before I knew it. I was in and out of sleep. The room was filled with Gabe, Mom, Dad, Susan, Greg, and Heather. The others were anxiously waiting in the waiting room. I have a special memory of my Dad, Papa, and Gabe's Dad, Poppi, closely watching my contractions and making announcements to me and the room each time I was "having a big one"! Then Dad would talk calmly to me about things to keep my mind elsewhere. Auntie and Poppi were flipping through the Bible to find a special verse for Quinn. It was a wonderful time with all of those who love us. Then as my Dad recounts it... I whispered to him... Daddy, get everyone out of here, I am going to have this baby right now. The room was cleared out in seconds and Gabe called Tanya to let her know I was ready to push. In seconds the room was transformed from a spacious hospital room to a full blown delivery room. I was so thankful to have Gabe and my Mom stay in the room during the delivery. And before I knew it with Gabe and Mom on each side of me I was pushing! Dr. Thurston who was the on-call doctor in my OB practice was waiting for the word that I was ready for him. We did a few pushes with Tanya and then Dr. Thurston came in and the pushing continued. I pushed for a total of maybe 20 minutes... it was such a surreal moment, yet we were so IN the moment. At 11:59 Gabriel Quinn was born! Nothing could have prepared Gabe or I for the moment we would bring our child into the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment